Thursday, January 11, 2007

Podcasting: What's it for?

Surveying other Libraries recently who do podcasting (there still aren't very many) or other streaming audio or video, I noticed that the preponderance of them use the technology as an advertising tool. In my last post, I moaned about how libraries don't advertise enough, so I'm not going to fault them for trying to get their message out to as many people as possible. Still, when I set up our podcast, it never occurred to me to use it as a support system for other library activities. The KPL Podcasts stand on their own, like author talks or Circulation functions or Reference. Since our podcast goes out not just to our service area, but to the entire world, they provide an opportunity to create a positive image for our city in ways none of our other outreach methods can. Consequently, we want to create content that folks in Atlanta or San Diego or even London might be interested in hearing. It reminds me of a John Lennon quote, "Think globally, act locally."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm a reference librarian at one of the campuses of the Metropolitan Community College campuses in the Kansas City area. I thought I'd share what I'm working on for postcasts. I'm planning to use podcasting for information literacy instruction. The idea is to little 5-10 minute snippets focusing on specialized databases for distance ed. courses like history, science, math, etc. It's hoped that these will provide a means for students who never step foot on campus to have access to the same info as the ground students. I hadn't even thought of it for advertising - that's a great idea! I'd like to hear more about the content of your podcasts. Also, if you have any suggestions as to which software to use or other tips, I'd very much like to hear them. If you can't access my e-mail address, let me know.

Great blog!

January 22, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger Lions-Online said...

Hey there genxlibrarian. i don't see your email anywhere. Would you send it along and I'd be happy to share ideas.

Steve

January 23, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops, sorry about that! It's marty.miller@mcckc.edu. Thanks!

February 07, 2007 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home