Friday, October 31, 2008

Stop Reading!


I caught myself saying something to my seven year old son that I never thought I would utter: "Stop Reading!" It was followed by, "Go to sleep!" It was going on 9:30pm, his bedtime was 8:30pm and he had school the next day. It just doesn't seem right for a librarian to say, "Stop Reading!" The next morning my son was up before the sun was rising ....reading. I had to coax him away from his book to eat breakfast, to get dressed, to go to school. He triple checked his backpack to make sure the book was really in there before leaving the house. He finished the 225 page book in two days. My son has always enjoyed books, but this was his first time experiencing the almost magical connection of reading a really, really great book - all by himself. He preferred reading this book over TV and even video games. If you are lucky, you have come across such books, and you know the joy they bring. What is the title of the "best book ever written"? According to my son, it is: "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney.

Happy Reading
Cindy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home