Thursday, December 06, 2007

The BookPod


I have a burning need. I want a device that will change my reading habits the way the iPod changed my listening habits. Like most modern consumers, I want what I want when I want it. Now! As you probably know, Amazon made a pass at such a device last week with the release of their Kindle book reader. Many "in the know" tech reviewers wasted no time turning the Kindle into kindling. In particular, reviewer Robert Scoble recorded a video challenging his own record for the most uses of the word "sucks" in a single review. These reviewers don't seem to understand they are looking at a first generation product. Is the Kindle too expensive? Yes. But the first generation iPod cost $400 too, and didn't have any video or podcast capability. Its screen was black and green. It only worked with a Mac. It had 6gb of memory. In comparison, the newest iPod has 160gb of storage, podcast capability, full video, a full color screen, and works fine on a PC. That first generation iPod was introduced in 2001. What will the Kindle look like in six years? I can't wait to find out!

Stephen Bertrand
Assistant Director

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home